NVQ Level 3
Diploma in in Wood Occupations (Construction) Architectural Joinery
On-Site Assessment and Training provides the opportunity for experienced workers to gain the qualifications needed to prove they can do the job. It turns existing skills and experience into a nationally recognised qualification such as an NVQ. Having these qualifications also supports the application for a Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) card.
Who is the course for?
This course is ideal for operatives who are working in the construction industry as a bench joiner, either experienced or just starting out in the industry and would like to earn while they learn.
The average timescale for completion is 3-8 months depending on experience and access to assessment opportunities.
The aim of this qualification is to recognise the knowledge, skills and competence demonstrated by an individual in the workplace. This Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Wood Occupations Architectural Joinery provides the opportunity for individuals who specialise in bench / architectural joinery to demonstrate their competence.
The course provides a specialist work related programme of training covering key knowledge and practical skills required within the sector.
Candidates will need to demonstrate the following skills and qualities:
- A careful, methodical and accurate approach to work
- The ability to follow drawings, plans and written or spoken instructions
- The ability to work safely, follow risk assessments and method statements
- The ability to work well in a team
There are 11 units in this qualification suite which are derived from National Occupational Standards. Candidates must undertake a minimum of 9 units to gain the qualification.
These are made up of 8 core units (including 4 units which are studied at level 2) and 3 specialised units (of which 1 must be taken) to make up the 9 units for the qualification.
The 8 core units are:
- Conforming to General Health, Safety and Welfare in the Workplace
- Producing Setting Out Details for Routine Architectural Joinery Products in the Workplace
- Marking Out From Setting Out Details for Routine Architectural Joinery Products in the Workplace
- Manufacturing Routine Architectural Joinery Products in the Workplace
- Confirming Work Activities and Resources for an Occupational Work Area in the Workplace
- Developing and Maintaining Good Occupational Working Relationships in the Workplace
- Confirming the Occupational Method of Work in the Workplace
- Manufacturing bespoke architectural joinery products in the workplace
The 3 specialised units are:
- Producing CAD Setting Out Details in the Workplace
- Setting Up and Using Fixed Machinery in the Workplace
- Producing setting out details for bespoke architectural joinery products in the workplace
The units of this qualification can be delivered in any order or combined as necessary to form part of a relevant training programme; however, allmandatory units must be completed by each candidate. AllLearning Outcomes and Assessment Criteria of the units that candidates are registered to take must be achieved prior to claiming the qualification certificate.
Assessment and Certification
Units must be assessed in a work environment, workplace evidence of skills cannot be simulated.
A variety of assessment methods are used, such as Observations, Witness Testimonies, Professional discussion, Site evidence, Photographic evidence, Evidence of previous learning and Knowledge Questions.
After completing a final assessment successful candidates will receive certification and be eligible to make an application for the CSCS Advanced Craft / Supervisory GoldCard.
Candidates should have completed an NVQ level 2 in bench / architectural joinery* and must be employed as a Bench Joiner and have the potential and opportunity to successfully cover the full range of assessments to gain the qualification.
* It may be possible for experienced works to enter direct at level 3 (please contact one of our experienced advisors for further information).
Achievement of this qualification provides opportunities to progress to further qualifications and training such as: Level 4 NVQ Diploma in Construction Site Supervision. As part of lifelong learning Altamira Training encourages candidates to progress and continue with their professional development to enhance their employment opportunities and career progression.